I just bought Coriolis and I'm currently reading through the rulebook. And, if you don't mind, I have a few questions regarding the setting.
1. What's up with Nazareem's Sacrifice? They are mentioned a few times in the book, but what's written just doesn't add up. On one hand, they are described as a faction that, supposedly, got corrupted by the Dark and then was wiped out by other factions. One of the factions that took part in this were the Draconites, so it must've all happened in the modern era. On the other hand, there's a passage in the book that mentions the Sacrifice as a faction from the time of Portal Wars who supported the First Horizon invasion. So... what's going on here? Some sort of mistake in the text?
2. Any advice how to make sense of the really complicated sociopolitical situation in the Horizon? I admit that I'm just not entirely sure how this super-society works. For example, there are the big corporations of the Consortium - who produce, buy, sell etc. Then, there's the Free League, who are independent merchants, but also... dockhands and sailors? And then, there are the free traders mentioned under "Small Players" - who are, somehow, different from the Free League. I don't quite get it...
3. Any help with the Emissaries? The book mentions them quite a few times, but there's not even a picture of them - or even any mention whether they are material beings or spirits. Hmm?
4. Does The Dark Between The Stars actually exist? One passage in the bestiary section suggests its just a form of energy, not an active malevolent force. Is it the objective truth in the setting, or am I misreading things?
5. Finally, I have to ask about this: Lovecraft. I am not seeing things, am I? There really are the byakhee and the hounds of Tindalos in the Horizon, right?