Keshalyi
Topic Author

Structure of the faith of the different faiths?

Mon 15 Oct 2018, 02:55

I’m curious if there are any sources wi more detail on the faiths in the Third Horizon? The definitions of the different icons are great but I’d love to know more of I the real structure of e faith. There are chapels and priests, but is there communal worship services? There’s a lot of talk about individual prayer, but are there ‘church services’, or communal prayer? I remember reading of devotional dancing at some point too - it’s the institutionalization I’m interested.

Then in terms of theology, is there an eschatology in the third horizon? I get a little of that about a future calamity, but it’s not a real eschatology in the sense of it being an end of history as far as I can telL. Or there are simple questions. Like what happens when you die? What does sin look like, what is the source of knowledge of right and wrong? Is there a commonly understood system of scriptures? I certainly saw a number of esoteric works, but is there a more centralized canon of works? Are there special works form for instance, the Order of the Pariah?

Is there any social laws? Taboos? Things like restrictions of dress or of food, or of sexual practice, etc. just curious - I love how much the world is tied into faith, and it makes me want to understand the faith better, to wrap it I to tha game better.

Ansalander

Re: Structure of the faith of the different faiths?

Wed 17 Oct 2018, 23:02

As of now, there is no such source. There is a trememendous amount of latitude in the game to do what you want with it.

One thing that has helped me is to word search the .pdf versions of the books for key words about whatever I have a question about. The game is well organized but there are small references throughout that you probably wouldn’t find otherwise. It even took me an (small) effort to understand the calendar, believe it or not. There is no such thing as (or corollary to) a week, for example. There is no lunar month, because Kua has no natural moons.

Use of Darkness Points is another example. There are a lot more ways to +\- the darkness points balance the GM has at their disposal than it initially appears and some of them are spread out throughout the core book.

Star systems are another. Pick an obscure star system at random and search. Some have only one or two references anywhere and some have quite a few references in unexpected places.

Once you’ve done that, you have all the cannon and the rest is up to you. :-)