Umberto Octo
Topic Author

[Genlab Alpha] Cold-blooded critters

Sun 19 Mar 2017, 09:26

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I cannot find anything in the book about how reptiles would be able to remain active in winter.

Without giving anything away, there is a reptile character in the campaign who do this and that throughout the winter, but I'm perplexed as to how a cold-blooded reptile would be able to do much of anything in sub-freezing temperatures.

I am inclined to have them remain in semi-hibernated state through colder months. Perhaps have them sheltered from the elements and participate in plots and plans while tending the homefires (as it were), rather than out and about in the snows and ice.

Thoughts on this? Am I missing something evident in the rules/setting? Would mutated reptiles merely not be cold-blooded?

I've been wondering since stumbling through the Swedish version last summer, and since I'm (finally!) having initial sessions this weekend for a campaign, I want to figure this out before we get into full swing.
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"

Fenhorn

Re: [Genlab Alpha] Cold-blooded critters

Sun 19 Mar 2017, 10:17

All animal mutants have been induced with human dna and who knows what mad labcoats behind Project Genesis have done. The easy answer is that there is no direct difference except for some roleplay perhaps.

But there is a way to do this and still follow the rules. The rules are abstract when it comes to cold damage. It is pretty much up to the GM to decide if it is cold enough to be hurting. The GM could have two scales here. One normal scale and one for some animal mutants that can't take cold. For example (the normal cold rules, i.e. endure rolls):

Temperature   Normal               Cold-Blooded
Cool                -                         Once per day
Cold                Once per day     Once per hour
Freezing         Once per hour    Once per hour -1
Extreme          Once per hour -1 Once per hour -2

This way the character becomes playable but is hurt if it is cold. They can of course counter this by dressing in warm clothes. A nice and balanced GM can give the poor player a bonus during heatwaves (either that the cold-blooded animal mutant is immune to heatwave or get a bonus to deal with it).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tomas
Site Admin

Sun 19 Mar 2017, 21:17

Nice ideas, and a good explanation by Fenhorn. The reptile mutants in Genlab Alpha have human DNA in them. That, in combination with some suspension of disbelief, should get the reptiles through winter. :)
Fria Ligan

Umberto Octo
Topic Author

Sun 19 Mar 2017, 22:16

Thank you both.

Having lived somewhere that winter temperatures frequently reach the magic number where F & C are the same (-40), I perhaps think about cold weather effects more than others.

I was going to run with the mutagen DNA aspect, so Fenhorn's reasoning is sound. As most of his reasoning here is. :)

Thanks again.

Jizmack

Sat 01 Apr 2017, 06:31

Just have the reptiles drink more Booz to stay warm :)

Umberto Octo
Topic Author

Sun 02 Apr 2017, 08:55

Considering it doesn't, that would compel a further suspension of disbelief.  :o