Charlie D
Topic Author

mother and son mutants in Zone Sector 2 Denizens of the Sinkhole

Wed 15 Mar 2017, 13:00

SPOILERS

In the PDF Zone Sector 2 Denizens of the Sinkhole Kana Ohori is described as elderly and has a son, Petel. However, she has mutations.

Also, Fered Ohori is described as being middle aged. Also has mutations.

These two people and especially the mother/son relationship seems to directly contradict the metaplot for MY0. I didn't notice this until one of my players pointed it out, wanting to solve the baby issue of the Ark.

I think this PDF needs to be reworked. I simply said that Kana is in her thirties and considers Petel, in his twenties, to be her son. But for a moment there, the mystery of the setting and the suspension of disbelief were threatened. Luckily, I didn't mention the two women's age that much.

Fenhorn

Re: mother and son mutants in Zone Sector 2 Denizens of the Sinkhole

Wed 15 Mar 2017, 14:13

The players belong to a certain stage in Project Eden. The project has been going on for 150-200 years (just as Project Genesis in MGA). The Ark stage in Project Eden started, about 25 years ago. Other mutants might have been released before that but for some reason the labcoats consider that testgroup lost and a failure so they moved on.

The mother could have been part of an earlier ark project that due to the sinkhole, failed so it was abandoned and the mother found the solution to how become pregnant on her own.

These are two explanations. This has been asked before. I don't remember what Tomas answered but I guess something in those lines.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Charlie D
Topic Author

Wed 15 Mar 2017, 17:02

I didn't want the PCs to easily learn how to overcome the baby problem by asking her. So I came up with a different solution. 

I think my point is, I wasn't prepared for the question and the PDF didn't have a warning that a player might ask her how to overcome the no children problem.

Fenhorn

Wed 15 Mar 2017, 17:33

I didn't want the PCs to easily learn how to overcome the baby problem by asking her. <>
I haven't used the Sinkhole for that particular reason. I will use it after the Eden debacle is over and done so the story of the Sinkhole can unfold without any side questions of how and what.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 15 Mar 2017, 22:07

Hi!

Yes, the Denizens of the Sinkhole sector does have some elements that are a little hard to square with the MYZ metaplot. Fixing this and updating the PDF is on our todo-list. :)
Fria Ligan

Charlie D
Topic Author

Thu 16 Mar 2017, 18:29

Hi!

Yes, the Denizens of the Sinkhole sector does have some elements that are a little hard to square with the MYZ metaplot. Fixing this and updating the PDF is on our todo-list. :)
Thanks Tomas.

Oddball_E8

Mon 15 Oct 2018, 09:15

I didn't want the PCs to easily learn how to overcome the baby problem by asking her. So I came up with a different solution. 

I think my point is, I wasn't prepared for the question and the PDF didn't have a warning that a player might ask her how to overcome the no children problem.
That's easy.

PC: "How did you overcome not being able to have children?"

Kana: "What do you mean? You guys can't have kids?"

There... problem solved.

If she and her group of mutants are from either escaped or released batches of experimental mutants, then there's no reason to believe that they have the same problem as the denizens of the Ark.

Indeed, it could be that the scientists that "bred" the batch that lives in the Ark specifically designed them so they couldn't reproduce, in order to keep the control group under control (that is, before the scientists that set them free ruined that experiment).
In fact, that might have been a lesson learned from previous experiments who escaped because they didn't want their children experimented on.

There is also the alternative that the mutants who live in the sinkhole are simply "lucky" descendants of survivors who didn't become ghouls, but instead naturally evolved mutations without being experimented on by anyone.

Akumakaji

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 04:21

Hello everyone.

I am prepping the sinkhole adventure right now, and even though this post is 3 years pasts its last reply, I guess this forum can use some activity :D

Here is another possible, and actually pretty obvious solution: its the verdure. Either, mutants infected by the verdure regain their fertility, or it is the proximity of the verdures spores or something. I might be using the rules for verdure infection, that someone posted here.

So, every now and then, a member of the uptops gets infected and might reproduce, but once this is detected, they try to get rid of the infection asap. No one seeks out to get infected on purpose, just to get kids, as this will find you becoming one of the downbelows sooner or later, especially if the infection isn`t noticed and you suddenly just disappear.