Charlie D
Topic Author

What map of the Zone are you using? How did you start your campaign?

Wed 30 Nov 2016, 22:12

I'm curious what zone maps are in use. I like the New York one but all the water could restrict exploration (or lead to adventures to find a boat or a submarine or jet skis).

My thought is to start in the Ark with a random event. Anyone have any stories on how they started their campaign? I played the opening adventure in the book (the one that starts in the Zone) as a one shot, but I don't think I'll start a campaign with that one.

Erzaad

Re: What map of the Zone are you using? How did you start your campaign?

Thu 01 Dec 2016, 23:02

I'm going to be starting my first campaign this Sunday. I'm using the Orlando/Disney Zone, but I created my own map so I could fill in notable locations from scratch.

I don't have a lot of experience GMing, so I'm a little nervous. It's a custom campaign (I'm ignoring Eden). I've got a plot hook in mind that'll tie in Disney with the Genlab Alpha content, but apart from that, I don't feel like I can plan much in advance until I know what the ark, characters, and NPCs are like. The plan is to just start out the campaign with a struggle over limited grub and see what happens.

Tomas
Site Admin

Fri 02 Dec 2016, 10:08

I'm going to be starting my first campaign this Sunday. I'm using the Orlando/Disney Zone, but I created my own map so I could fill in notable locations from scratch.

I don't have a lot of experience GMing, so I'm a little nervous. It's a custom campaign (I'm ignoring Eden). I've got a plot hook in mind that'll tie in Disney with the Genlab Alpha content, but apart from that, I don't feel like I can plan much in advance until I know what the ark, characters, and NPCs are like. The plan is to just start out the campaign with a struggle over limited grub and see what happens.
Cool stuff, and welcome to the forum!
Fria Ligan

Charlie D
Topic Author

Fri 02 Dec 2016, 17:05

Sounds exciting. I hope you'll come back here and let us know how your first session went. And your plan sounds solid so hopefully you can channel that little bit of nerves into a solid first adventure.

Erzaad

Tue 06 Dec 2016, 22:04

Our session 0 went well, but didn't have time to actually start playing. Got all of the characters and arc built though.

The PCs consist of: A chronicler that wants to solve the infertility crisis, a gearhead who wants to become indispensable around the Ark by being the best at building things, an enforcer that believes he can become strong enough to fight the Rot itself, and a stalker who is just looking to die on his own terms out in the zone where no one will find the shrine he'll build for himself.

They built the ark underneath a partially collapsed highway overpass using abandoned cars and wreckage. It looks like a jury-rigged scaffolding system, so they built "up" rather than "out".

Established 3 bosses: One is a fat, bulbous man with the Frog Legs mutation that rules by strength and fear. Rather gluttonous. Another is a civil man that enjoys the finer things in life and cherishes his pristine suit and crystal glass that managed to survive the destruction. The third is a populist boss who appeals to the slaves and other low-standing mutants.

Blatifagus

Tue 06 Dec 2016, 22:28

Our session 0 went well, but didn't have time to actually start playing. Got all of the characters and arc built though.

The PCs consist of: A chronicler that wants to solve the infertility crisis, a gearhead who wants to become indispensable around the Ark by being the best at building things, an enforcer that believes he can become strong enough to fight the Rot itself, and a stalker who is just looking to die on his own terms out in the zone where no one will find the shrine he'll build for himself.

They built the ark underneath a partially collapsed highway overpass using abandoned cars and wreckage. It looks like a jury-rigged scaffolding system, so they built "up" rather than "out".

Established 3 bosses: One is a fat, bulbous man with the Frog Legs mutation that rules by strength and fear. Rather gluttonous. Another is a civil man that enjoys the finer things in life and cherishes his pristine suit and crystal glass that managed to survive the destruction. The third is a populist boss who appeals to the slaves and other low-standing mutants.
Cool! Seems like a good setting. I especially like the description of the ark.

ChristBrotherhood

Sat 10 Dec 2016, 14:38

Cool! Seems like a good setting. I especially like the description of the ark.
Yeah I liked that too, reminds me of the shack buildings of Fallout 3 and 4. I remember some settlements on top of and beneath overpasses. Like Girdershade in Fallout 3: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Girdershade or for example: Arefu in the same game http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Arefu or Diamond City with it's terrace buildings: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Diamond_City 
Keep us posted Erzaad, sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Will they have sniper nests on top of the highway overpass? Like in the release trailer for Mutant Year Zero: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZvgLqcXiZc

ChristBrotherhood

Sat 10 Dec 2016, 16:37

Just found some Scotsman that made a nice video for making your own Zone map: 
Mutant Year Zero inspired zone map tuorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re1O43K1K0c 

markfennings

Mon 16 Oct 2017, 13:45

Hi fellows,

Note: I'm not an English native speaker (French here), so my English might not be perfect. I should be good enough to communicate properly. Be indulgent please. I also used the French edition of the book, some variation may appears for some terms I think.
Note2: I know the subject is 10 months old - anyway, it seems the right place to introduce the campaign I'm working on and collect some feedback from the community.

Regarding the map I'm using, I followed the tutorial on Youtube shared previously and create a map in our own town here (Grenoble, France). I found it funny to put my players in a post apocalyptic version of the city we live in.

The Ark

We created the Ark itself with my playere last week. It's an old commercial center with a small alley of various shops, a pretty large parking lot and a second floor  that were offices in past time. The ark is mostly controlled by 4 bosses (one is a player - with a small band of 8 peoples and the others PCs). The others are:
- A cultist, convinced that he is the prophet that will lead the mutants to Eden. He is megalomaniac and dangerously fanatical. The symbol of the cult is the an old Neon Sign from the commercial center representing the letter "E". He converted about a third of the storage section as a church to the "Stars god that will leads him to Eden"
- A "humanist" mutant, wanting to create a better future for is followers. Hardworking dude, empathic and open to diplomacy more than violence. However,II'm planning to turn him in a revolutionary (wanting to free all slaves) pretty fast in the campaign. He is using a part of the old office section as headquarters
- A brutal and ruthless women, using violence and fear to control her small empire but it's also a business women and she will do what it's needed to keep the Ark alive. Her headquarters is on the parking lot, using two old school bus as "offices" for is business. She is also methodic and rules is band like a "company" (a pretty violent one...)
- My player (a she), is a reasonable human being and she wants to climb the ladder of power mainly for her own benefits. Her headquarters is an old shop of the commercial gallery where the metal curtain can still be used (manually of course).

That's it for now, if you have idea on how to start the first scenario, I would be thankful.

Tomas
Site Admin

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 12:46

Very cool!
Fria Ligan