Jizmack
Topic Author

Same Rules Alternative Settings

Sat 13 Feb 2016, 00:40

Hello fellow gamers,
I am new to this forum and not sure if this is the correct place to post this topic, so please excuse my ignorance if I’m in the wrong webpage… and perhaps guide to me to the right webpage, please?
Otherwise, here’s my comment/question:

I like the Mutant Year Zero rule mechanics so much that I think they are perfect for the fantasy setting depicted in the Den comics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den_(comics)) and Arzach comics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arzach), both of which were shown in the Heavy Metal magazine and the 1981 Heavy Metal movie. They are very similar settings featuring bleak ruin-filled landscapes with savage sub-humans and half-man-half-beast creatures. The main characters are barbarian types and wizard types, and there artifacts can be both high-tech gear or magical in nature. Another reference is the old TV cartoon show, Thundarr the Barbarian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundarr_the_Barbarian).

Anyway, I modified and expanded the mutations and made three different categories: Superhuman Prowess, Bestial Power, and Arcane Sorcery. They work the same way as the Mutations: spending MP to activate them and replenishing MP by pushing your rolls and self-inflecting trauma.
Superhuman Prowess is the least fantastical and mostly just gives characters automatic successes on their skill rolls. They are intended for the muscle-bound barbarian heroic figures to make them “superhuman”.
Bestial Power is associated with some animal ability and intended to depict physically visible mutations and monstrous appearances, such as wings, thick fur, horns, gills, tail, etc.
Arcane Sorcery is magic and allows for spell casting, which includes the most fantastical abilities like shooting fire, invisibility, levitation, telepathy, telekinesis, etc.

So, my question is, has anyone already done this sort of thing? Transferring the Mutant Year Zero rule mechanics into a totally different setting?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Tomas
Site Admin

Re: Same Rules Alternative Settings

Sat 13 Feb 2016, 11:09

Hi and welcome to the forum! Your topic is perfectly placed here. :)

I'll leave other to actually reply to your question, but I can say that our upcoming Coriolis sci-fi game will use the same core mechanic as MYZ, and we have plans for two or three more games using a varation of it too...
Fria Ligan

Byrax

Thu 18 Feb 2016, 20:59

Ah, another DEN fan here! I have considered doing DEN a long time (indeed my first own Mutant adventure (first incarnation in 1986) was heavily inspired by Corben's masterpiece (published in Sweden in the comic Tung Metall), and I am surprised no professional venture has attempted it, given the numerous licensed games these days. Perhaps too obscure.

Almost all the HM comics back in those days would be worthy RPG-settings; Arzach, Rebel, Mercenary, Incal, Jeremiah, Druillet (Lone Sloane), Thorgal, Canardo etc.

Let us know how it progresses.

Byrax

Mon 04 Apr 2016, 18:17

Speaking of DEN. Another Richard Corben (and Jan Strnad) masterpiece is Mutant World, which REALLY fits the Year Zero-setting! Choc-o-ful of visual
 inspiration for the zone!
Last edited by Byrax on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

KINNARELLI

Thu 14 Jul 2016, 07:24

I LOVE Thundarr the Barbarian.  I used to watch it all the time as a child.  Thanks for reminding me of it!  Hanna-Barbara had a lot of stinkers (I'm looking at you you, cartoon Godzilla) but Thundarr was not only great but also my first introduction into a post-apocalyptic world.
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me"
Sadist to Masochist: "No"

johnnii

Sat 12 Aug 2017, 21:09

I have made a hack to play in a classic fantasy setting based on the swedish Drakar och Demoner (Dragons and Demons) rpg, but there are a lot of things picked from the Coriolis system as well. It's in swedish though.