Magnapocryphe
Topic Author

Artifacts and sanctuary

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 10:43

Hi!

When a Mutant find an artifact, he can keep it for himself,OR leave it in the sanctuary.
In this second case, the artifact benefit to all the People (NDev Bonus).

My question is, what happens if the artefact is stolen? Does the Ndev decrease (in the same way he decrease when a project is destroyed)?

Further, what if a mutant need it for some days, an expedition for example... Does the NDev decrease or is it considered always in the community?

Rules suggest that the NDev decrease only when the Artifact is NO MORE in the community (it's to say : the People can no more use it).

But in this case, as a mutant, I always leave it in the sanctuary, and use it when I need... then I benefit both effects : NDev, and using it.

Sure, leaving it is quite a risk... but it's a low risk, regarding the benefits...

Then I think I misunderstood something... Don't you think?

(please forgive my english, I'm french... I try my best ;-) )
If you see the Buddha on the road,
Kill the Buddha.

nerdvana

Re: Artifacts and sanctuary

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 13:44

This is not something I considered. I would say that before they can borrow anything it has to remain in the sanctuary between sessions (unless a session ends mid-action in which case I'd treat the two sessions as one for this purpose) if this is done. I don't believe that is how it would work in the RAW (Rules as Written)

Unslain

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 22:28

Theft from the Dawn Vault hasn't come up in our games (but we did have a rich boss who would buy artifacts, to make the choice harder for players) but personally, I would rule that an artifact removed does lower the Dev level, since it can't be studied and learned from if it isn't there. Gearheads might think they remember how the artifact worked but they cannot be sure if it has been removed.
Also a theft could make for a fun story and the Dev level dropping gives a nice consequence if the players can't get it back.

As the rules go, I think the intention is that either a character can have a cool artifact or they can improve their home, not both.

We did agree as a group that if players gave an artifact to the Dawn Vault to get the dev bonus, then it is beyond use and can't be got back. But this was just our house rule and if your group is having fun and you can all agree on how the rules work for you, that is the important thing.

nerdvana

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 23:26

But rather than theft, what about borrowing them for a purpose and then returning the artifact?

Unslain

Mon 27 Aug 2018, 23:12

I think the design idea is that you can only get one benefit or the other - having both feels too easy for Mutant. The convention we agreed at our table was that artifacts in the dawn vault were gone. If a player had later been desperate to get an artifact back, I think that ought to be worth a story - maybe the dawn vault keepers are willing to trade it for another artifact, either one the PCs have or something that'll boost a different Dev level and the characters will have to go looking and/or find a fixer to help. Borrowing is awkward to my mind, because there's no guarantee the PCs will make it back. Maybe our game was just overly lethal though.

If borrowing is something your group wants, then I'd still drop the dev level when an artifact goes out, perhaps by half it's dev bonus roll (2d6 -> d6, d6 -> d3) rounding up but returning it boosts the dev by half what it should rounded down, so that there's still a consequence to treating the vault like a library.

Magnapocryphe
Topic Author

Wed 05 Sep 2018, 08:37

Hi!

Thank you both!

I agree that the rule tend to give a choice to the mutant : for you OR for the people.

Making it an event is the best idea to me. You borrow it, but not for nothing. I don't like rules that stack upon each other, and upon core rules... I like it simple and clear. ^^
So I don't think that I will create any rule to manage it.

If you can afford to borrow it, it's for a precise task, a precise duration, and you give something back to pay the use. And obviously, you MUST return it in time!
If not, the NDev decreases by the amount of the artifact.

It is quite simple and precise, based on the core rules.

I didn't face the situation to be honest, but I know my players... when they will calculate the amount of artifact in the vault... they will try to consider it as their bagpack! XD

Thaks again for your answers! :-)
Kill the Buddha.

Oddball_E8

Mon 15 Oct 2018, 16:25

Here's how I would do it...

If you give it to the sanctuary, it will be disassembled and studied by the scribes and gearheds to try to figure out how it works and maybe even reverse engineer it.

It is, effectively, destroyed.

(I mean, it might be reassembled and hung on a wall, but hardly in working shape in most cases).

Magnapocryphe
Topic Author

Mon 03 Dec 2018, 18:46

Really interesting! Thanks for sharing ;-)
Kill the Buddha.