Erzaad
Topic Author

Does a failed heal check on a dying character kill them outright?

Sun 12 Nov 2017, 21:56

"A failed roll in this situation could kill him, however, so be careful. Read more about this on page 90."
Page 90 only mentioned that a character can't try to heal again, but other people can. So does a failed heal roll have any risk associated with it (especially if others can try)? If you fail your heal check on a dying character, do they die instantly?

Fenhorn

Re: Does a failed heal check on a dying character kill them outright?

Sun 12 Nov 2017, 22:04

A character with a lethal critical injury dies when the time period indicated has passed. On page 90 (v2 pdf) at the end under Death it says "Each person trying to Heal you can only roll once." So all characters may roll once (sometimes, at least on some critical injuries, you can even do it yourself but with a -2).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

soda

Sat 09 Dec 2017, 23:06

It was like this in the original Swedish rules, I think it has changed in later versions of the game (with the critical injuries table etc.).

We still use this rule, only one healing roll. 
In fact, we use this rule with the addition that if you pass the healing roll, then you get to roll on the critical injuries table (excluding death-results). It's a bit backwards, but very exciting.

Atomics

Tue 10 Apr 2018, 00:33

I feel like what the rule is saying is that "could kill him" means, "since you can't roll again, if no one else can and it's a lethal injury, you've condemned them to death" (i.e. you should push the roll)

In the spirit of the game (and the explicit section "The Art of Failure" on page 44), I make sure not every person decides to roll off the bat. If the Enforcer with 2 Empathy and 0 heal wants to roll, he can - BUT when he fails, the dying person is going to take a trauma in another stat. Or maybe it adds 1 (or even a d6) days to the critical recovery length. So preferably, the Chronicler with 8 dice should be the one doing the roll. If he fails, then the next best guy, etc.

What this does it keeps every single person from wanting to roll on every single skill check. This is good for the speed and simplicity of the game.

The most important thing a Mutant GM can remember is "Failure should always have consequences."