Erzaad
Topic Author

Rules for Mounts (like Bitterbeasts), as opposed to Vehicles?

Sun 16 Jul 2017, 18:46

How exactly do mounts work? Are they equivalent to vehicles?

Fenhorn

Re: Rules for Mounts (like Bitterbeasts), as opposed to Vehicles?

Sun 16 Jul 2017, 20:22

I don't know if they keep the same articles in the various Zone Compendiums but in the Swedish version of "Die, Meateater, Die" ZC, there was an article about this.

For short:

The talent Zone Rider (my translation).
You can tame a wild bitterbeast (and other animals) so you can ride them. To do this you need to capture one and then succeed with three rolls for Manipulate (or Dominate), one roll per day. A failure could meant that the animal flees or attack you and you have to start all over.
With the talent you can also ride (more efficiency) the animal. All movement counts double (as usual) and all that Fight you from the ground do so with a modification of -2. You can also make the animal fight for you. in that case you use the animals strength but with your Skill Level in Fight. This is an action (of course) and you can't push the roll. Bitterbeast can also be made to spit (use the beasts Agility and your Shoot skill).

If you don't have the talent you can still ride a tamed animal. An animal in those circumstances still counts as a vehicle (double speed) but during a conflict without the talent, you need to roll for Endure each round to stay on the animals back (this roll doesn't count as an action). A failure means that you are thrown off and you take damage with three basic dice (each nuke means one damage).

Regardless of the rider has the talent or not, anyone that is attacking a rider can choose to attack the animal or the rider.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Erzaad
Topic Author

Tue 18 Jul 2017, 19:56

Thanks for the fast reply, as always. Where are you finding the Zone Rider talent? I see it mentioned in the DMD PDF, but no actual description.

Mounts came up as an issue because the party wanted to go on a farther, plot-related expedition and finished the Stables ark project in order to get a faster mode of travel (giant mutated alligators). I didn't see anything in the book that explained how mounts worked, only vehicles, so I treated them similarly. They're basically being used like horses to cut travel time in half.

Fenhorn

Tue 18 Jul 2017, 21:00

Hmm, in the Swedish version of DMD there is a black textbox about how to tame animals. That textbox was labeled The Talent Zone Riders. They might have re-arranged the article, but the text should be there somewhere.

Otherwise the talent lets you tame the animals as I wrote above and that you don't have to roll every round to see if you are thrown off the mount.

I also have made up some different kind of horses (or "horses") that the players can capture and tame.

Erzaad
Topic Author

Wed 19 Jul 2017, 16:23

I'm definitely not finding the text in the DMD PDF. I even used the find feature to search for "zone rider". It is mentioned several times as an npc type, and once as a talent, but never with an accompanying description. 

Fenhorn

Wed 19 Jul 2017, 19:48

I don't know why this has been omitted in the English version, if it is a miss (they will, hm, probably not admit that) or if they think you don't deserve such rules (that would be strange) or if they have a great masterplan to add it later (even more strange since the Zone Riders was introduces in that ZC) or something completely different. They will hopefully answer. Here is the Swedish rules.
The Talent Zone Rider (my direct quick translation)
You can tame wild bitterbeasts and other animals to be your loyal mount. To tame an animal, you must first capture one. Then you need three successes, with the Manipulate or Dominate skill, in a row to tame the animal. You can roll one roll per day. Failure means that the animal flees or attacks - and that the whole process must be restarted

Besides that you can tame the animal, you are a skilled rider and knows the art to fight mounted. All your movement is doubled in combat -  each maneuver spend on movement counts as two. All that Fight you from the ground gets a -2 modification. You can also let your mount fight for you - you use the animals Strength but your skill in Fight. This replaces your action in the round. You can push the skill roll. When it comes to the Bitterbeast you can let them spit acid on your enemies - you use the bitterbeasts Agility but your skill in Shoot.
Rules ride mounts (my direct quick translation)
Anyone can sit on a tame bitterbeast or other tame animal and slowly move through the Zone. When it comes to Zone exploration, a mount counts as a vehicle, all exploration takes half the time.

Conflicts is something else.
Anyone that lacks the talent Zone Rider (see above) must succeed with an Endure roll to stay on the mount. This roll doesn't count as an action or maneuver. A failure means that the beast has thrown you off and you take damage with three basic dice - each Nuke yields one damage.

Anyone who attacks a mounted enemy can choose if to attack the beast or the rider.

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 26 Jul 2017, 18:35

Thanks Fenhorn!

The reason it was omitted in the English versions is that the section in the Swedish compendium went hand-in-hand with an article about the Zone Riders in the Fenix gaming magazine. And space. :)

We could certainly add the mount rules to a later English Zone Compendium.
Fria Ligan

Unslain

Sun 06 Aug 2017, 11:32

Yes please, Tomas that would be very welcome! If space is going to be a continuing issue in ZCs though, perhaps you could put the rules up on drivethruRPG for us?

Thanks for putting up your translations, Fenhorn.

Fenhorn

Tue 08 Aug 2017, 20:15

Thanks Fenhorn!

The reason it was omitted in the English versions is that the section in the Swedish compendium went hand-in-hand with an article about the Zone Riders in the Fenix gaming magazine. And space. :)

We could certainly add the mount rules to a later English Zone Compendium.
Yeah, I forgot that there was an article in the Fenix magazine. I need to find my ex of that and read it sometimes.

nerdvana

Sun 29 Apr 2018, 22:31

I have to second the statement that this would be awesome to see official versions of.