Erzaad
Topic Author

Attacks against the Ark

Sun 04 Jun 2017, 16:57

The book states that when a side during Ark combat rolls a 1, their "Battle Level is reduced one step." What does this actually mean? Does it have any effect outside of not being able to reroll that die, just like a 6? If not, why wouldn't both sides just keep rerolling until they have all 6's and 1's?

Fenhorn

Re: Attacks against the Ark

Sun 04 Jun 2017, 17:23

According to the example:

RAD means that you are winning. This is what you count to get the battleresult.
BIO means that you have taken looses. Battle Rating -1.

So far so good.

Technically you could just re-roll until you got RAD or BIO or until your hands starts to bleed and this is what happens if no side got a RAD or BIO. But since an attacking force could retreat and attack again a couple of days later. It could be smart to not re-roll (and riks getting a BIO).

In the example on p115 the Ark (BR 2) re-rolled because they didn't get any result. The Zone-Ghouls (BR 3) re-rolled one die (he got one RAD and one BIO. If it was anything other than Zone-Ghouls, a more tactical choice could have been not to re-roll. They already got one RAD and the Ark had none. A more cautious army probably wouldn't re-rolled as they already got one RAD (why risk more looses).

How the battle ends is up the the players. Here I let the players face one enemy per two players one a Stalemate, one enemy per player if -1, two per player on -2. If +1, the players will face one enemy or no enemies if +2. The outcome of these battles will determine if this battle is called a victory or a defeat.

But technically, yes you just re-roll until ...
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Erzaad
Topic Author

Re: Attacks against the Ark

Sun 04 Jun 2017, 17:40

I understand the risk now. I didn't fully read the "losses" paragraph that mentions that the Battle Level reduction recovers overtime. I thought it only applied to that battle.