mbrunet
Topic Author

Rules Question: Rot level, explored sector and Find the path

Wed 03 May 2017, 16:10

HI,

I've got a question about the rot level and the explored sector. I'm DMing a game and i want to know what happen after a sector is explored to the rot level.
So the stalker roll his find the path and do not find the rot level in it(weak rot). After the successful attempt to explore the sector should i give them the rot level and do it stay the same if they come back.
Second part for this question. Let's say the stalker use the stunt for rot finder. but they decide to not find the rot level, the rot will be one level lower. after the successful attempt of exploring the sector should i provide them with original rot level or the the one reduce by one. 

third and last question, same situation. But the sector is rot-heavy. The party decide to leave the sector because it is too dangerous in term of rot( they spend only 1 hour in it). and decide to come back another time. The next time they come back, can the stalker roll again for his find the path or they need to use the last one they did.

Thanks for the help

Tomas
Site Admin

Re: Rules Question: Rot level, explored sector and Find the path

Wed 03 May 2017, 18:28

Hi!

First question: If the Stalker does not use Find the Path to assess the Rot level, you will simply tell the players when they suffer Rot Points. From this, they will probably be able to guess the Rot Level, but by then it's too late. Using the skill to assess the Rot Level means that the Stalker gets to know the Rot level before the group enters the sector. If the Rot is severe they can choose to back out of the sector immediately and suffer no Rot.

Second question: if the Stalker does not spend a stunt on assessing the Rot level, you don't ever need to reveal the Rot level - you simply tell the players when they suffer Rot Points.

Third question: If the Stalker has assessed the Rot level in a sector, he does not need to roll for it again. The Rot level (generally) stays the same.
Fria Ligan

mbrunet
Topic Author

Wed 03 May 2017, 18:38

Hi Tomas,

thank you for answering my question. I've got a last one for the find the path. Let's say the group decide to back out of sector for any reason. then the sector will be consider unexplored. if they decide to come back can they roll a new find the path since the sector is unexplored or they need to use the past role?

Thanks,

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 03 May 2017, 18:50

To keep things simple and keep the record-keeping down , I would recommend a new roll. However, the GM should not allow players to abuse this by rolling multiple times for a single sector until they get a really good roll. In such a scenario, the original roll would stand.
Fria Ligan

mbrunet
Topic Author

Wed 03 May 2017, 20:09

thank you SIR.

Atomics

Fri 04 Aug 2017, 19:44

Second part for this question. Let's say the stalker use the stunt for rot finder. but they decide to not find the rot level, the rot will be one level lower. after the successful attempt of exploring the sector should i provide them with original rot level or the the one reduce by one. 
Can you point out where this rule is at? I couldn't find anywhere where it says the Rot level in a sector goes down once it's been explored, with our without Find the Path.

Unslain

Sun 06 Aug 2017, 11:20

I believe mbrunet is referring just to the Rot Finder talent's stunt. But as written it only applies to that trip through the sector, so the rot level doesn't actually drop. This is where I'd allow the stalker another Find the Path roll to try for that stunt again the next time.

We're perhaps a bit heavy on the record keeping but we have a GM-only zone log to record rot levels and other things that the players might not know about. We tried using an A4 map but it was too small for us, though that may work for others.

masterbouh

Sun 17 Sep 2017, 21:27

I have 2 questions regarding the rot level
First question
In the chapter 15 p202, it is written
The lake itself is dark and the water turbid from algae, but is actually harmless to wade through. The Rot here is very weak (which a successful Know the Zone roll will reveal).
This seems to imply that a successful Know the Zone roll allows the player to detect the rot level. But this is not clearly indicated in the skill description
Second question
How are you describing the effect of the rot in play (apart from the mechanical effects). Do you consider that the characters feel something when they are contaminated ?

Fenhorn

Sun 17 Sep 2017, 22:26

I have 2 questions regarding the rot level
First question
In the chapter 15 p202, it is written
The lake itself is dark and the water turbid from algae, but is actually harmless to wade through. The Rot here is very weak (which a successful Know the Zone roll will reveal).
This seems to imply that a successful Know the Zone roll allows the player to detect the rot level. But this is not clearly indicated in the skill description
Second question
How are you describing the effect of the rot in play (apart from the mechanical effects). Do you consider that the characters feel something when they are contaminated ?
I answered your question on g+ but I can give it here as well.

The skill roll is done for creatures and phenomenon. in this case, the algae in the water. So a successful skill roll will tell the players that the water is turbid because of algae, not because of rot (most players would probably think that the water is heavily contaminated by something because of how it looks).

In the Swedish version, trauma by rot is determined by the GM. This most often is damage but can be any of the four types. I usually not describing it until it is to late, then I (or the player) describe it based what trauma I decided that this rot will yield.

At least this is my two cents on the matter.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

masterbouh

Wed 27 Sep 2017, 08:24

Many thanks for your answer Fenhorn