Charlie D
Topic Author

falling, drowning, and burning

Tue 28 Feb 2017, 18:33

The rules don't seem to cover falling damage, drowning, and burning. The rotfish has a short section on drowning but it is very basic.

Am I missing something? I plan to use the rules in Coriolis but it seems weird if MY0 doesn't have these rules.

Fenhorn

Re: falling, drowning, and burning

Tue 28 Feb 2017, 19:34

Rules for drowning can be found in the ZC Dead Blue Sea. I don't heave the English one but in the Swedish version it says that if you are under the water (voluntarily or involuntarily) you have to roll for Endure (before you do act) each round. You can push the roll and the roll doesn't count as an action. A failure means that you breathe in water and take one point of damage (str trauma). A critical if it goes that far would be non-typical.

Rule for falling can be found in the expansion Mutant År Noll: Maskinarium (Mutant Year Zero: Mechatron) and it is quite simple. If you fall from three meters (perhaps you have yards here) or more against something hard, the GM makes an attack roll against him. The GM rolls a number of basic dice equal to the number of meters (yards) minus two. For each RAD rolled the newly fallen hero takes one damage (amour protects as normal). A little bit of GM discretion here regarding critical, but I would have ruled that this is a non-typical injury if the fall is very high. Yes I do know that you don't have this module yet. It is a very good module  ;)

Rules for burning is listed on the description for the Flamethrower. Anyone hit catches fire and continues to burn and takes one more point of damage until he makes a Move roll (this roll counts as an action). A critical counts as non-typical. If we skip the flamethrower damage.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Charlie D
Topic Author

Tue 28 Feb 2017, 20:25

Thanks. Dead Blue Sea has drowning and Coriolis has falling which you listed.

Charlie D
Topic Author

Tue 28 Feb 2017, 20:45

I'm not sure drowning will work, as you could just continue to hold your breathe forever.

Charlie D
Topic Author

Tue 28 Feb 2017, 20:58

Here's what I plan to use, combining Mutant: Year Zero and Coriolis rules.

DROWNING If you are underwater (by choice or not), the GM rolls basic attack dice, at your turn in the turn order and before you get to act, as an opposed roll against your Endure roll. He rolls a number of dice equal to double the number of turns you have been under water: two dice for the first turn, four dice for the second turn, and so on. As soon as you come up for air, the attacks stop. Armor has no effect.

FALLING A fall of three yards or more ending on a hard surface prompts an attack roll. The GM rolls basic dice equal to the number of meters fallen -2. Armor does not normally apply.

FIRE If you are in, or within Near Range of, a large fire, you will suffer basic attack rolls once every turn. The GM rolls the attack at your turn in the turn order, and before you get to act. He rolls a number of dice equal to double the number of turns you have been in the fire: two dice for the first turn, four dice for the second turn, and so on. As soon as you suffer 1 or more points of damage from the fire, your clothes catch fire. If you get out of the fire with your clothes on fire you continue to take one more point of damage each turn until you put out the fire. Putting out burning clothes demands a successful Move roll (you or someone else within Near Range of you may attempt the roll). Every attempt counts as an action. Armor normally has no effect.

Crosbie71

Fri 07 Apr 2017, 01:24

I GMed my first session today (first GMing since I was a teenager running AD&D!) and hit a blank when it came to figuring fire damage against threats.

My crew came across acid grass and duly set light to it; the rules briefly say it has a strength of 10 but I had no idea how to manage inflicting burning damage on it.

I just improvised a rule and got them to roll a d6 whenever they wanted to check on progress, chipping off damage until it reached 10. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯